Friday, September 20, 2013

Apple Tree Farm Felt Activity

An imaginative and hands on mathematics lesson with pre-K aged kiddos!

I made apple trees all with varying amounts of apples on them.  (I got the template for the apple trees from a book called Felt Board Fun by Liz and Dick Wilmes).  The apple amounts ranged from 2 to 12.  I then counted out 12 plastic cube counters in the color red to represent the apples.  I then let my daughter go pick out a maraca from our instruments.

The materials needed for this lesson :)


 I then welcomed her to the Tree Farm where we were going to eat some fresh apples!  I asked her which tree were we going to get our apples from first?  And she pointed to her tree of choice and we counted how many apples were on it.  Then I gathered the "apples" and cupped them in my hands while she shook her maraca at the tree and we counted each apple as it fell from the tree until we got to the number of apples on the tree.  She then got to gobble up the apples and I'd ask her how many apples had worms in them and if we had to throw them away how many would we have left (subtraction)  We then moved our trees to the side of the board and lined them up by which one had the most apples and which had the least.  Then it was free time to play at the board with the apple trees and counters.  (Which turned into building gymnastics equipment for her Littlest Pet Shop friends, lol)

 This was a simplified version, a more advanced version would be to have little mini apples on each tree that we took off, but I ran out of time to make it all before I just wanted to do the lesson, ha ha. 
My daughter "spitting out" one of the apples that had a worm in it, lol
 

No comments:

Post a Comment